Yeni Mosque

Located at Nr. 1 31 Augustou Street in the center of Larissa. No information concerning the date or owner of the construction could be ascertained. There are no inscriptions. It appears on the map dated 9 Ş, 1243 (February 25, 1828), (Halaçoğlu, 1974, p. 93).

The square structure is covered with a tiled roof and its three-section portico is covered with three small domes. The mosque can be entered at the top of a small staircase. The roff of the mosque collapsed during the 1941 earthquake (Tloupas-Nakos, 2003, p.76).

The minaret, located on the northwest corner, had only one balcony, it remains as high as this balcony today. "There are three windows on its eastern and western side and two windows on its southern side. It does not have a mihrab in its prayer hall.

During our visit we found a fountain, a gravestone and a gravestone title in the garden. The gravestone belonged to İbrahim Pasha, son of Ali Pasha from Karaferye. The mosque had been used as a Municipal Library before World War Second. The mosque that was damaged in the 1941 earthquake and in World War Second is now being used as an Archeological Museum (Ottoman Architecture in Greece, 2008, p.198).  

Today, the mosque is being used as The Larissa Archaelogical Museum. The "Yeni Mosque" has been turned into a museum and a leaflet that was published in 2008 mentions that it was once a "Turkish Church". Just as the words "Turkish" and "Church" have never come together, the words "Greek" and "Mosque" never come together either!

Previous Page
Next Page
  • The Artifacts In The Villages
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Tirnovi
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Çatalca
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Alasonya
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Baba
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Yenisehir: