Eminzâde Hadji Ahmed Agha (Madrasah) Mosque

Located on the corner of Marku Botsari and Ap. Pavlou Streets. It is registered on December 10, 1964, Number: 16385 and the Official Gazette, on January 16, 1965, Number: 30/B. It has no inscriptions however, there is a charter according to which, it was founded by Hadji Ahmed Agha, the minister of Baruthane, before 1128 (1716). The charter of Mehmed Agha’s son Ahmed Agha of the vakif, VGMA, is registered in the Defter Nr: 989/0, p.0158, Line Nr: 0120 on 29 Ş, 1128 (August 18, 1716). In the charter of the vakif; it is stated that prayers would take place in this mosque on Fridays and they would take place in the Hünkâr Mosque on Mondays and 60 coins would be paid in exchange for this. The leaders of prayer of the mosque were paid 13 coins per day. On 29 M 1142 (August 24, 1729); the people who had specific duties in the charitable foundation of the mosque and those who were charged as preachers were determined (BOA., C.EV., 502/25356).

It is the biggest and most structurally sound mosque in Karaferye to survive until today. There is a graveyard for Muslims and a madrasah that was constructed by Eminzâde Hadji Ahmed Agha next to the mosque. Today the mosque is known as the “madrasah mosque”. It has a square plan and is covered with a dome 11.5 mt. in diameter and the Ayet’el kürsi prayer is inscribed on the dome. Four landscape pictures are exhibited in its prayer hall (Lowry, 2009, p.49). On which are the images of the mosque, the prayer room, its madrasah and a structure which is probably Istanbul’s Süleymaniye Mosque. The longing for Istanbul was fulfilled by the presence of that image so far from the capital city. Eminzade Ahmed Agha was the patron of the Ahmediye Mosque in the Istanbul quarter of Uskudar, which was built in 1143 (1722) and still stands to this day. Ahmed Agha’s gravestone, with markings from 1143 (1730-1731) is located to the north of this mosque. Originally, mosque had a portico with three sections but in the late years of the Ottoman period this changed to resemble a porch type area. The marble minaret, on which it is written “ΒΩ... ΕΥΝ...” is located in the northwest corner and has one balcony.

On 1 N 1328 (September 6, 1910; The Eminzâde Madrasah and mosque, which were both on the verge of collapse, were taken under the protection of the Selanik Education Commission. The inauguration of the restored mosque, which was repaired with its own income, took place at the end October (BOA, MF.MKT, 1160/17). This was the last repair that this mosque and madrasah underwent in the Ottoman Period. On 18 July, 1924; the requisition of the charitable foundations of the Eminzâde Mosque was organized (BCA, 30548, 130.16.13.2 / 557.1360.25). We do not know for what reason it has been used since 1924. The mosque was restored under the auspices of the Naussa Veria Metropolitan. 75 % of the 985,543 Euros for this expense was met by EU funding. It was repaired in order to be used as an auditorium. Seven gravestones, gravestone headpieces and several decorated marble pieces were found in its courtyard.

Previous Page
Next Page
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Karaferye
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Agustos