Mustafa Bey Mosque

Located on Venizelou Avenue, at Kapetan Mitrousi Street in the Kato Kamenikia Neighborhood. It was located in the Şehre Küstü Neighborhood during Ottoman times.

It is registered under the Ministry bylaw of December 19, 1961, Number 15813; and published in the Official Gazette on February 3, 1962, Number 36/B. It is registered under the Ministry of Cultural Affairs bylaw of February 10, 1984, Number ARH/B1/F37/57030/1272; and published in the Official Gazette on March 2, 1984, Number 112/B.

“All of the roofs of the soup kitchen, madrasah and school belonging to Mustafa Bey were covered with lead” (Evliya Çelebi VII, 1966, p. 621). The date of foundation of the mosque can be discerned from the last line of the Arabic inscription as the second half of the 15th century and it was enlarged in 925 (1519) by a benefector whose name is unknown (Lowry, 2008, pp.170-172).

The central dome is flanked by domes on each side. It has a colonnaded portico divided into five arched sections, each covered in a dome. The prayer hall has double windows and there are two circular windows on the mihrab. Signs that the minaret was located on the northwestern side of the mosque can still be seen.

The charter of the mosque of the vakif, VGMA, is registered in the Defter Nr: 179/0, p.0100, Line Nr: 0769 on 24 Ş, 1291 (October 6, 1874). The charitable foundation of the mosque, VGMA, is registered in the Atik Defter Nr: 403, Line Nr: 935 on 23 S, 1260 (March 14, 1844), (Response: 2-769). “The mosque was purchased by İlias Lavrendidis as an exchange property” (Pennas 1966, p.512). It had been used as a carpentry shop for many years.

The charitable foundation of the mosque, VGMA, is registered in the Atik Defter Nr: 406, Line Nr: 220 on 10 N, 1279 (March 1, 1863). The structure is surrounded by a wall which makes entry difficult.

Previous Page
Next Page