Castle

Evliya Çelebi wrote this about the castle:

"The castle was located where the current Bezestan is found. Ghazi Turhan Bey had it demolished. As there are no more castle walls, it has two hundred private soldiers that protect the city every night. In the past this was the place where Kink Luka had his throne and after it collapsed all of the stones were used in the construction of charitable institutions such as mosques, madrasahs and khans. There are no stones around this city. The remains of the foundation blocks of the collapsed castle can still be seen" (VIII, 1966, p. 41). 

The castle was rebuilt in the Ottoman period in order to protect the city from a group of Greek bandits. A map was prepared on 9 Ş, 1243 (February 25, 1828) by Halil Bey in order to surround the city with a citadel (Halaçoğlu, 1973-1974, p. 89-100). The castle was repaired on 1279 (1862-63), (Halaçoğlu, 1973-1974, p. 96). A moat that had been dug around the castle walls was repaired at the same time. Nothing remains of the walls in the present.

 

 

Previous Page
Next Page
  • The Artifacts In The Villages
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Tirnovi
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Çatalca
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Alasonya
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Baba
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Yenisehir: