Selçuk Sultan (Zincirli) Mosque

The mosque was located on the southeastern side of the city, on the corner of Adrianoupoleos and Vourlon Streets, in the Profitis İlias Neighborhood. During the Ottoman Period, it was known as the Arabacı Neighborhood (Pennas 1966, pp.513-515). Evliya Çelebi writes that the mosque belonged to the Sultan (VII, 1966, p. 620).

The mosque has two official registrations: the first appearing in the Official Gazette of February 3, 1962 (15813/19) under the auspices of the Ministry of Education and Religious Affairs (Document 36/B, December 19, 1961). The second appearance in the Official Gazette of March 2, 1984 (Issue 112/B) was under the auspices of the Ministry of the Environment (Document ARH/B1/ F37/57030/1272, February 10, 1984).

According to the dating used by Heath Lowry, the mosque was built in the late 15th century by Selçuk Sultan, the wife of Mehmed Bey and daughter of Sultan Beyazid the second (2008, pp.155-164). There are documents in the archives concerning repairs made to the mosque and a soup kitchen and a madrasah that were on the same property. It is through these documents that we were able to ascertain and confirm the name of this mosque.

The construction shows alternating double rows of bricks with one row of İçicut stone. The central dome, 14m in diameter, is set on eight inner columns and surrounded on three sides by a screened off loge. The loge is covered with a cross vaulted ceiling. The mihrab is built in a way that it protrudes from the side of the mosque. The portico, divided into five sections and made of cut stone, has a central dome. The columns, column capitals and much of the décor in the portico are decorated with ‘baklava’ diamond shaped carvings. The following inscription can be seen in the portico:

“Lâ ilâhe illallâh Muhamedün Resullullâh Ve’l hamdüllilâhi Rabbü’l âlemin”

There used to be an inscription on the door but it no longer exists. The minaret has also been demolished but remnants can be seen.

Records dated 25 R 1276 (21 November 1859) and 4 Ca, 1276 (29 November 1859) indicate that the cost of repairs for the mosque and the soup kitchen at Serres were covered by the charitable foundation of Selçuk Sultan (BOA, İ.MVL, 425/18635).

“We could not enter it. Its minbar is made of marble” (Ottoman Architecture in Greece, 2008, p.285).

Structure remains, an Ottoman gravestone with no inscription and an inscription mentioning the Atik Mosque were all found in the gardesn during our visit. There is a fountain in the northeastern corner of the gardens. Although the mosque was restored after the year 2000, it is now closed.

Previous Page
Next Page