Hamidiye / Bayraklı Mosque

It is located within the boundaries of the fortress on Agios Georgis Street. It was registered by the Greek Ministry of Culture on 5 March 1999. According to the inscription placed above the door by "Feyzi", the mosque was constructed in 1891 at the behest of Sultan Abdülhamid II. The mosque is covered with a roof in a rectangular floor plan. The main prayer area has since been torn down. Photographs of the interior have been taken through a hole under the door. It is clear from these photographs that the interior space of the mosque is now being used as a repair shop for electronic goods. The panel above the mihrab reads: "Küllema dehale aleyha Zekeriyya el-mihrâb" ( Each time Zakarius goes in the altar where Mary takes place).

Previous Page
Next Page