Clock Tower

This tower was originally built as the bell tower of the Saint Nicola Church in 1855. In 1867, after a clock was placed on its east face, it began to serve the public. The date 1855 can be seen inscribed in two places on this square tower. It is estimated that there was an epigraph, originally in Ottoman Turkish in an oval inscription plate because it is very clear that one of the ‘1855’ inscriptions was clearly not the first.

The tower contains two two- story birdhouses which symbolise the importance that the Turks give to charity. In 1939, a seventh floor was added and clocks were placed on all four sides.

Previous Page
Next Page