Ahmed Pasha Madrasah and Library

Located at 3 Dioikitiriou Street, only the madrasah remains today. This was registered by: A Greek Presidential Bylaw of June 11, 1925, the Official Gazette of June 16, 1925; 152/A, the Ministerial decision Number: 24946 of August 26, 1967; and the Official Gazette Number: 606/B of October 3, 1967.

Defterdar Ahmed Pasha, the son of Sadık Agha from Kesriye, had the madrasah and library built. He came from Istanbul in 1114 (1702-1703) and he went to the Hicaz in 1126 (1714-15) with Hasan Agha, who was one of his relatives. After the death of Hasan Agha he returned to Istanbul and then became a Tax Collector on the island of Chios (Sakiz). In 1143, he became Tax Collector for the Peloponnese (Mora) region, during which time he performed the charitable acts of having a madrasah and a library built in Kesriye and as well as some other works in enlightened Medine. He died in 1749 (Mehmed Süreyya I, pp.251-252).  

The madrasah, which is located at the left side of the road that goes down to the quay, consists of fourteen gilded rooms all topped with cupolas around a courtyard. One of the rooms was decorated as a prayer room and the others were used as a Turkish bath. Originally the structure had only one door but a second one was added at a later date. The original door was quite decorative with geometric and floral patterns made of mosaic stones. An old photograph of the madrasah shows that its walls were plastered, none of which remains today. The madrasah used a combination of stone and brick in its construction, with the uppermost frontals and cupola exhibiting a row of serrated edged bricks (Eyice, 1955, p.209). The section with the tall chimneys remains sound. The upper edges of the windows are arched. Although the original building has been undergoing restoration for a long while, it is still in a very bad condition.  

Records from 9 R, 1276 (November 5, 1859) show that the Ahmed Pasha Charitable Foundation had 15 shops in Kesriye but that the Foundation had not received any rent from these shops for the previous 7 years, it was therefore decided to collect the money due from this 7 year period from Şahinzade Behlül Bey (BOA, A.MKT.UM, 376/6).

Records from 23 Z, 1318 (April 13, 1901) show that a letter was sent stating that Hafiz Mehmet Tahir Effendi, a member of the ulema, was to be appointed to the position of teacher at the madrasah and, if qualified, as the librarian as well (BOA, MF.MKT, 551/32).

Previous Page
Next Page