Osman Shah Mosque

It is located at Agios Konstantinos square and Karditsis street in the city center across from the prison. It is registered the Royal Edict of May 30, 1936 and published in the Official Gazette dated 8 June, 1936 (Number 245/A). According to the Tuhfet-ül Mimârin, the Osman Shah Mosque belongs to a complex that was constructed by Mimar Sinan in Rumelia. Only the mosque and the tomb remain from this complex.

Osman Shah is also known as Osman Pasha, Kara Osman Pasha, Osman Shah Bey. Although he was the flag officer of Bosnia, he was assumed as more honorable than other viziers. He was the brother-in-law of (Kanuni) Sultan Süleyman and was greatly loved by the Sultan. He died in 975 (1567- 68) while he was the governor of Trikala (Mehmed Süreyya IV, 1996, p.1306).

Evliya Çelebi, who had visited the mosque, wrote:

“The Osman Shah Mosque is the most

magnificent and precious mosque within the eight other mosques where Friday prayers are held. It is unique in this area. Yet there are similar ones in Tire, Manisa, Bursa and Istanbul. Though it is small, it is quite bright and awakens spiritual feelings. It is a beautiful work of art. The decor in this mosque; such as the chandeliers, the mimbar, the mihrab’s artistic beauty are beyond words and can not be seen in any other mosques. The great Mimar Sinan, who also built the Sultan Süleyman Khan Mosque, did his best while building this house of God, the Sultan Sülayman Khan Mosque and he employed all his talents. May God let it exist as long as the world survives! The dome of this bright mosque is placed on four squared walls. It looks like the Süleymaniye Mosque in Istanbul. There aren’t any high columns inside. On the edges of the blue dome, there are edges with iron bars where candles are lit. The door in the direction of Mecca is a precious work of art. The date was written on the inscription. In the outer hall there are five great domes on six columns that are gorgeous and very high. The court is tiled with white marble and surrounded by columns with domes on them. Under these columns and domes can be seen the ornamented students’rooms at the madrasah school. The mosque, located beside the river which flows through the city and constructed in a grassy garden full of tulips, the madrasah that has a charitable institution, school, inn, bath and other structures are all Osman Shah’s beautiful charitable contributions, and they are covered with blue lead. All of the shop owners, educated people and lovers sit on the green grass under the tall trees and enjoy themselves near this mosque. Hence, this is an excursion spot forthose in the city. These works show that Hodja Osman Shah is truly from the Osmanoğulları family and he is a grateful person. He is older than Sultan Süleyman” (VIII, 1966,pp.47,49)

The Osman Shah Mosque is covered with an 18 mt. dome over a square plan. Its  gathering-place has been renewed and the late period ornaments on its mihrab have been protected. There are three rows of windows on each side. The minaret on the northwest remains up until the balcony. The portico, which contains two mihrabs, has been in ruin for several years (Konuk, 2006, p.539).  

The Mosque was restored in then year 2000 and its portico was reconstructed. The portico’s columns and mimbar are placed randomly and are exhibited in the courtyard. There is no inscription. It was being used as an Exhibition Hall during our visit.

 

 

Previous Page
Next Page
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Trikala
  • The Artifacts In The Small Town And Villages