Hurşid Pasha Tomb

Located in the Pera Neighborhood, the Hurşid Pasha Tomb was very close to the Ghazi Hasan Bey Bridge and it could be seen from everywhere. Those living in the Pera neighborhood knew the monument as ‘Pasha’s Grave’. It was rediscovered by chance in 1891 by K.Z. Livanos, who was the Turkish language translator at the Larissa Court House.

The tomb was built of cut stone, surrounded by walls and its windows were barred. There was no roof on this structure (It was hypaethral structure). There were windows on three sides and an iron door on another. The grave within is a Baroque style marble sarcophagus. It had both a headstone and a foot stone (Palyoungas II, 2007, p.582).

A drawing of the interior of the tomb, based on a drawing by Aginoras Asteryadis, was done by Athanasios Tsouknidas in 2006 (Palyoungas II, 2007, p.584).  

Hurşid Pasha was lying near Kösdem River, under the shade of willow trees. The gravestone which was still there was transcribed by Livanos. According to gravestone, Hurşid Pasha’s date of death was 1238 (1822-1823). However, according to the Osmanî Registration, Hurşid Pasha died in Ş 1293 (November-December 1876) in Larissa (Mehmed Süreyya II, 1996, p.680).

Hurşid Pasha was the District Administrator of the Niş (in modern day Serbia) region, he had also been a Belgrad guard with the degree of Rumelian Governor-General, Bosnia, Trikala and Rumelia Governor.

Hurşid Pasha’s Tomb became a private property after Teselya was passed to Greece in 1881 and was well protected until World War Second (Palyoungas II, 2007, p.586). As time went by, the tomb was neglected to such a point that the governor of the area, Papakostopulos, intervened and had the structure closed. There is a photograph from 1962 that shows the windows of its eastern face (Palyoungas II, 2007, p.582). This eastern face was used as the retainer wall of the residence of the Archbishop on Doretos Street in the 1980s. It was demolished a short while later. A decorative marble stone was found near the site of where the tomb used to be in December, 2003. It is likely that this stone was apart of the Hurşid Pasha tomb. There are no traces of the tomb today.

 

Previous Page
Next Page
  • The Artifacts In The Villages
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Tirnovi
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Çatalca
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Alasonya
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Baba
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Yenisehir: