Bayraklı (Çarşı) Mosque

The mosque is located in the centre of Larissa on Filellinon Street. It is registered under the Royal decree of September 24, 1937. It has multiple registrations under government bylaws and appearances in the Official Gazette: it is registered in the Official Gazette on October 14, 1937, Number 401/A. by the Ministry of Cultural Affairs on May 25, 1944, number ARH/B1/F32/19074/350, in the Official Gazette on June 24, 1994, Number 475/B. by the Ministry of Cultural Affairs on December 2, 1995, Number ARH/B1/F32/13935/287, in the Official Gazette on June 21, 1995, Number 539/B.  

It was built by Mevlana Muslihuddin bin Abdülgânî, who was known as the Muezzin Hodja (Teacher of the Muezzin, those who make the call to prayer). According to Muezzin Hodja’s charitable foundation, the mosque was built before 1549. Judge Muslihuddin’s artifacts in Skopje (Üsküp) and Kosovo remain standing to this day.

Evliya Çelebi wrote the following concerning the mosque:

"Its muezzin observes the clock and at each Ezan he hoists his flag on the pinewood perch at the top of the minaret. Each ezan begins in all of the other mosques and masjids when all of the muezzins see this flag. Therefore, this mosque is known as the Bayraklı (flagged) Mosque. This signal brings an amazing sense of life and activity to the surroundings. As this mosque is located in the middle of the town and marketplace, it is full of worshippers day and night, just like the Rüstem Pasha and Bayezıd Mosques in İstanbul. The lead covered dome of the mosque provides a refreshing place for worship" (VIII, 1966, p.41).  

The charitable foundation of Muslihiddin Effendi Mosque, popularly known as the Bayraklı Mosque is registered, VGMA, in the Atik Defter Nr: 725, pp. 199- 200 on 18 L, 1110 (April 19, 1699). On 29 B, 1182 (December 9, 1768) Hadji Mahmud was appointed as muezzin to replace his father, Mehmed Khalif, after his death (BOA, C.EV, 474/23971). Alterations to Judge Muslihiddin Effendi’s charity mosque, known as the ‘Bayraklı in Larissa-i Fener Town’ were declared on 3 Ş 1218 (November 18, 1803), (BOA, C.EV, 105/5222). The charitable foundation of Selime Hatun, Murad Effendi and Mustafa Effendi for Bayraklı Mosque and other charitable foundations is registered, VGMA, in the Atik Defter Nr: 725, p. 203 on 23 Ca, 1242 (December 23, 1826).

The other charitable foundation of the Judge Muslihiddin (Bayraklı Mosque) Mosque, VGMA, is registered in the Atik Defter Nr: 403, Line Nr: 983 on 10 M, 1291 (March 9, 1874). The mosque also appears on the map of 9 Ş, 1243 (February 25, 1828), (Halaçoğlu, 1974, p. 93).

During our visit, it was ascertained that the mosque was being used as a shop. A part of its madrasah was located next to it. It is supposed that the mosque had a square plan covered with a leaden dome. Its minaret is no longer standing. The structure was built by alternating three rows of bricks and one row of cut stone. There are two rows of double arched windows. There are no longer any original architectural features inside the mosque. The entrance area is used as a parking lot. The portico (son cemaat yeri) has collapsed. The inscription was removed and replaced by a plain piece of marble. It is thought that the door has been redesigned with a flattened arch. There is a window and traces of three edged arches on its northern side. The structure is registered as an historical artifact but is not known by the locals to have been a mosque. The Bayraklı Mosque is in urgent need of restoration.

 

 

 

 

 

Previous Page
Next Page
  • The Artifacts In The Villages
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Tirnovi
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Çatalca
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Alasonya
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Baba
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Yenisehir: