Kos Castle

1912 for 390 years had begun in Kos. The castle was called "Narince" in the Ottoman sources. The strategically importance of the castle was different from the Rhodes Island. Rhodes was all by itself a fortified city. Kos, on the other hand was a protected emplacement by sea and a range for defense. Consequently, it was secondarily important for the defense of the inside regions of the island. During the Ottoman period, buildings were built inside the castle to meet the needs from time to time. In a marble inscription located on the entrance it was written that "Gazi Sultan Mahmud flourished the castle 1237 ". The castle is the main castle of the island. The castle today was builded gradually during the Rhodes knights' sovereignty on the sandy coasts of the city's east sides. It was surrounded by sea and a big ditch which is Finikon Boulevard today, was separating the castle from the centre of the island. A great part of the castle was demolished because of the great earthquake in 1493 in Kos. After this devastating earthquake, it was repaired and partially constructed by the knights of Great Magistrus. Rock blocks shaped as cubes that form the materials used in inside and outside parts, were taken from archaic remnants, stone quarries in the island and from the marble quarries in Asklipio. After the conquest of the Rhodes Island, Kos Island, Bodrum and Tahta Kulu Castles have declared that they will obey to Ottomans in 5 January 1523; which was the date that Kanuni Sultan Suleiman was returning to İstanbul from Marmaris. Probably the castle which was damaged because of an earthquake before 1821 was repaired in Sultan Mahmud's period. There were barracks, artillery battery buildings, food and military supplies warehouses, and a jail house was found in the castle which was the headquarter of military unions. Some of these buildings are still standing. Also, Sultan Süleyman Mosque, which's minaret base is found inside, was inside the castle. It has reached its appearance with a quadrangular plan; the corners are supported with circle and rectangle towers, mostly in Ottoman period.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Previous Page
Next Page