Aqueduct

Located at 109 Papapavlou Street, on the hill which was known as Musalla Hill during the Ottoman Period. The mosque has two official registrations; the first appearing in the Official Gazette of February 3, 1962 (Issue 36) under the auspices of the Ministry (Document 15813, 19 June 1961). The second appearance in the Official Gazette of March 2, 1984 (Issue 112/B) was under the auspices of the Ministry of the Environment (Document ARH/B1/ F37/57030/1272, February 10, 1984). The Turks constructed aqueducts in order to have fresh water to perform their ablutions before prayer and to wash. The Kavala İbrahim Pasha Aqueduct and the Chios (Sakiz) Piyale Pasha Aqueduct are two such examples that can be seen in Greece. Heath Lowry found information records of a repair to the aqueduct in a census notebook from 1478. He claims that the aqueduct was built for the city’s mosque and bath by Hayreddin Pasha (Lowry, 2008, p.151). We support his claims. The two level aqueduct, much of which was built with rubble and brick, is now partially collapsed.
Previous Page
Next Page