Ghazi Hasan Bey Bridge

It was founded by Ghazi Hasan Bey who was the governor of Anatolia and Rumelia. There is information about the bridge in several sources.

"The Kösdem River that came from Trikala ran down through a stone bridge that had nine arches and under Hasan Bey Mosque in the Ottoman period"  

(İnciciyan- Andreasyan, 2-3, 1973-1974, p. 62).  

"The bridge had nine arches and it was three hundred feet long."  

(Wordsworth, 1853, pp. 288-290)  

"The bridge crosses the Kösdem River. The most sumptuous one of them is the Ghazi Mustafa Bey Bridge. It is a beautiful work of art that is arched like a rainbow"  

(Çelebi VIII, 1966, p.43). Çelebi called the bridge the Mustafa Bey Bridge as opposed to the Hasan Bey Bridge.One of the charitable foundations of the bridge, VGMA, is registered in the Atik Defter Nr: 401, Line Nr: 790 on 4 Z, 1249 (April 14, 1834). The sharp arched bridge with the smaller evacuation arches and triangular shaped pilings was a typical Turkish bridge architecturally speaking.

Süleyman Tevfik, reporting for the Sabah News during the Ottoman – Greek War of 1313 (1897) at the frontlines in the Alasonya-Larissa region, wrote in a piece that was published in 1315 (1897-1898) that the bridge was 114 mt. long and 8.00 mt. wide (Çulpan, 1975, p.169; Süleyman Tevfik, 1315, p.167-168). The bridge was bombed and destroyed by the Germans during World War Second (Palyoungas II, 2007, p. 544; Tloupas-Nakos, 2003, p. 77).

Previous Page
Next Page
  • The Artifacts In The Villages
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Tirnovi
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Çatalca
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Alasonya
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Baba
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Yenisehir: