Ömer Bey Mosque

Ömer Bey was the son of Turhan Bey, the conquerer of the Peloponnese. According to the mosque’s epigraph which was published by Ali Emiri Effendi, the mosque was constructed in Şaban 878 (Kanun-ı evvel 1473), (Ali Emiri Efendi, 1336, p.13).

Evliya Çelebi had this to say about the mosque:

"It is close to the Hasan Bey Mosque. It is a nice, ornamented place of worship covered with a lead. The date of its foundation is written on its door. The Ömer Bey Mosque has such a beautiful minaret that there are no other such places of worship to compare with it. None of the previous experts have shown such skill in the construction of a mosque. The balcony door can be seen from its lower door as the minaret is completely empty. The architect that built this work of art used all of his art skill on this building. Stone steps inside the minaret lead to very top. It is empty in the middle" (VIII, 1966, p. 41).  

The charitable foundation of the mosque, VGMA, is registered in the Atik Defter Nr: 725, p. 205 on 26 Z, 1132 (October 29, 1720). It appeared on the map on 9 Ş, 1243 (February 25, 1828), (Halaçoğlu, 1974, p. 93). The mosque is no longer standing.

Previous Page
Next Page
  • The Artifacts In The Villages
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Tirnovi
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Çatalca
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Alasonya
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Baba
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Yenisehir: