Bridge

Located on the Tempi Canyon near the area of Pirgetos. The Pinios River (Kösdem) gathers the waters of many smaller streams and tributaries as it flows through the 15km Tempi Canyon before emptying into the sea to the northeast of Larissa. Some of the precipitous, rocky slopes of the canyon are 500 mt. high. The road that goes through the canyon had to break through these rocky slopes. In some places the canyon becomes as narrow as 40 mt. The Tempi Canyon was one of the most important travel routes during the Ottoman period (Çulpan, 2002, pp.130-131). The stone bridge in Tempi was approximately 250 meter long and in its original form was the longest Ottoman era bridge located in Greece. Only 133 meters of the bridge exist today. It was constructed in 1727 (helectra.wordpress. com/.../τα-πετρογέφυρα-του-πηνειού- από-την-του/). The builder could not be ascertained. The southern section of the bridge near Omolia has not been protected well. However, the northern section that is close to Pirgetos is in much better condition with one of the main arches and nine smaller arches being in good condition. Approximately thirty small arches could be counted athough they were partially hidden by plants and trees during our visit. Today, some parts of the arches remain amongst the trees and others can be seen in the dry riverbed. The information of the inscription and the construction date of this bridge are given by Andonis Galeris who is the member of the ‘Pinios River Association’ and full details are placed in the web site which is above. The inscription is protected by the Kato Olimpos municipality.

 

Previous Page
Next Page
  • The Artifacts In The Villages
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Tirnovi
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Çatalca
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Alasonya
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Baba
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Yenisehir: