Messagros Mosque

It is located in the center of the village of Messagros. It was registered by the Greek Ministry of Culture on 12 June 1964. According to the inscription above the door, it was renovated in 1824-25. It is an important example because it has two minarets. It is clear from the inscription on the gallery of the existing northwestern corner minaret that it was constructed in 1903. The other minaret has been destroyed. The ceiling and the prayer hall area of this almost square mosque have been destroyed. The marble threshold of the panelled wooden door bears a wheel of fortune motif and there is a prayer hall niche at the entrance. A fountain can be seen in the wall next to the mosque.

Previous Page
Next Page