Hurmalı Mesjid

It is located within the boundaries of the fortress at No: 18 Apolonio Street. It was registered by the Greek Ministry of Culture on 25 August 1948 under number 23084/737. Following the conquest of Rhodes, the old Byzantine San Marco Church was converted into a mosque by someone named Ibrahim Efendi. It took it's name after the palms in the courtyard. Although the single galleried minaret is no longer intact, the lecture rooms of the school and girls' school, as well as the soup kitchen still surround the courtyard. The school for girls is being restored with a budget of Euro 5. 869.405. The Mosque and the school transferred to the Metropolitan of Rhodes, in accordance with the decision of the board of directors of the Turkish Waqf Administration which was directy appointed by the Greek authorities. Today it serves as the Saint George Church.

Previous Page
Next Page