Customs House

Located at the intersection of 1 Merarchias and 28 Oktovriou Streets. It is 500 mt. from the Military Barracks Mosque, which collapsed. Larissa was no longer Ottoman property after the Treaty of İstanbul and the Customs House was built around that time in 1881. We could not find an inscription during our visit. The building had been used with its original purpose until 1912 when Alasonya was no longer under Ottoman rule (Ottoman Architecture in Greece, 2008, p.202).

 

The structure is formed of three adjoining rectangular sections. The main section in the middle has two storys and the two side sections are single-story. The Customs House has a jerkin head. It was built in a period when new architectural movements, especially the Neo-classical style, were dominant in Europe. The structure contains traces from the second phase of the industrialisation in Europe. It is under protection today. It was closed during our visit. A gravestone which likely belonged to Hafiz Abdülezel Pasha was found in the courtyard. Suggestions have been made to use the restored Customs House as a Folklore Museum (Ottoman Architecture in Greece, 2008, p.202).

Previous Page
Next Page
  • The Artifacts In The Villages
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Tirnovi
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Çatalca
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Alasonya
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Baba
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Yenisehir: