Çelebi Sinan Bey Mosque

Located in the square between Leonida and Themistokles Streets, it is registered under the royal edict on January 13, 1938 and the Official Gazette, on January 20, 1938, Number: 18/A.

Evliya Çelebi gives this information about the mosque: “The mosque is domed and it has a minaret. It has a dome which is covered with lead. There’s such a big plane tree that it could hardly be encircled by five men joining hands. It is as big as the Lonca mansion plane tree which is next to the İstanköy (Kos) Island Castle moat in the Mediterranean” (VIII, 1966, p.33). It is also mentioned in Evliya Çelebi’s inscription. It is understood from this inscription that it was constructed in 896 (1490-91). However, its inscription and the plane tree in the courtyard no longer exist. The charter of the Çelebi Sinan Bey Mosque of the vakif, VGMA, is registered in the Defter Nr: 179/0, p.0142, Line Nr: 1115 on 21 L, 1272 (June 25, 1856). The charitable foundation, VGMA, is registered in the Atik Defter Nr: 725, p. 282 on 17 M, 1112 (July 4, 1700). The muezzin appointments took place on 29 Z, 1133 (October 21, 1721), (BOA, C.EV, 520/26297).

In a photograph taken after the population exchange, it can be seen that the mosque was surrounded by the high walls of a courtyard. It has a square plan and is topped with a lead dome on an octagonal rim. There are weeds around the dome of the eaved, hewn stone building. There is a stone, placed upside down, on the east side of the dome with the inscription only as high as its balcony, is similar in construction to the minaret at the Alaca Mosque in Selânik (Thessaloniki) Some holes have been made in the diamondshaped, ornamented portion of the minaret. Its portico is nonexistent. The Çelebi Sinan Bey Mosque was used as a house, a musical instruments workroom and a stonemason’s workroom (Matskani- Margie, 2005). It was being used as the City Hall’s timber storage during our research. This historic mosque, built approximately 520 years ago, needs immediate restoration.“KIK”. The minaret, which remains only as high as its balcony, is similar in construction to the minaret at the Alaca Mosque in Selânik (Thessaloniki) Some holes have been made in the diamondshaped, ornamented portion of the minaret. Its portico is nonexistent. The Çelebi Sinan Bey Mosque was used as a house, a musical instruments workroom and a stonemason’s workroom (Matskani- Margie, 2005). It was being used as the City Hall’s timber storage during our research. This historic mosque, built approximately 520 years ago, needs immediate restoration.

Previous Page
Next Page
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Karaferye
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Agustos