Moruk Mosque

It is located in the predominantly Turkish business district, on Ifestu Street. It was registered by the Greek Ministry of Culture on 15 September 1948. It was named so by a rich man, Morukzade Efendi, who has constructed the mosque after he moved to the Peloponnese. The construction date is unknown. It was restored by Hadji Hasan Rıza in 1892, as it is understood by the inscriptions above the door. The Mosque which has two storeys, was damaged by an earthquake in 1933. Later on, the mosque was used to supply income for the Turkish Waqf Administration through renting the premises for trading purposes. At that time the interior was totally renovated and the exterior was preserved as it was. It still functions the same way today.

Previous Page
Next Page