Senior High School

The Senior High School building in Serres first served as a mansion. A photograph of this building can be seen in Istanbul University’s Abdülhamid Albums. On 23 Ca, 1308 (January 5, 1891), the rent for the houses that were being used as the Senior High School was met and documentation of the monthly payments were requested (BOA, MF.MKT, 124/74). Requested medicines for the school were sent on 24 C, 1308 (February 4, 1891), (BOA, MF.MKT, 125/93). Records show that the medical instruments that were requested on 15 M, 1309 (August 21, 1891), were also sent (BOA, MF.MKT, 130/37). The announcement of the awards ceremony that took place on 21 R, 1311 (November 1, 1893) was requested (BOA, MF.MKT, 185/2). Within the framework of the program changes of Senior High Schools; the teachers who would give lectures at Serres Senior High School were reorganised on 18 Ra, 1320 (March 18, 1903), (BOA, MF.MKT, 691/54). New classes were added to the school on 26 Ca, 1321 (November 17, 1903), (BOA, MF.MKT, 750/5). The students of the Köprüüstü Junior High School would be transferred to a Senior High School in Serres. The Hadji Sadık Bey Mansion would be purchased with funds from the National Treasury for the transfer. A documented examination of the Mansion was requested on 14 R, 1322 (June 28, 1904), (BOA, MF.MKT, 788/32). Abdullah Effendi, the Principal of the Thessaloniki Hamidiye Industrial School was appointed to the Serres Senior High School on 18 Z, 1322 (February 23, 1905) (BOA, MF.MKT, 833/62). The Senior High School was opened on 22 Ş, 1324 (October 11, 1906), (BOA. MF.MKT, 958/51). The two-story building is still standing and is in use as the 11th Primary School today. The original inscription on the building has been removed.
Previous Page
Next Page