Clock Tower

It was close to the Hasan Bey Bridge. Evliya Çelebi gives the oldest information concerning the tower:

"There is a bell clock on the high building next to the (Clock) Saatli Mosque and it can be heard from a distance" (VIII, 1966, p.42).  

It had a hexagonal plan, with each side measuring 3.10 mt. (Palyoungas II, 2007, p.539). It is stated in the sources that it was repaired by Seyyid Tahir Effendi in the Ottoman Period, 1836. There was a repair inscription that showed the date when it was repaired. Some repairs and additions to the tower took place in 1881 (Palyoungas II, 2007, p.539). It was restored for the second time in 1910 or 1920. It can be seen in a postcard published by G. Velonis in 1910-1915 that the upper part of the structure was made of wood (Palyoungas II, 2007, p.537). It was repaired in 1928 and collapsed in the earthquake of 1941 (Palyoungas II, 2007, p.540). While excavation work was being done for the Old Theater, the foundation of the tower was uncovered (Palyoungas II, 2007, pp. 538-539). No traces of the clock tower remain.

 

Previous Page
Next Page
  • The Artifacts In The Villages
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Tirnovi
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Çatalca
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Alasonya
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Baba
  • The List Of The Ottoman Artifacts Located In Yenisehir: