Yeni Kapı Mosque Minaret

Diagora Square. It was registered by the Greek Ministry of Culture on 5 March 1999. The Yeni Kapı Mosque is also called Eski Mosque or Tabutlu Mosque. After coffins were stored in the mosque in 1920, the mosque was called tabutlu (with Coffins). The mosque was destroyed by an earthquake in 1933. The minaret was also taken down because of the risk it posed due to its architectural condition. There is just the base of the minaret today. On the pedestal of the minaret, there is a fountain. According to the inscription on it, it was constructed by Hadji Mustafa Agha and his wife Fatıma Kadın, in 1776-1777.

Previous Page
Next Page