Borazanî Baba Mosque

It is located within the castle at 28B Omiru Street. It was registered by the Greek Ministry of Culture on 25 August 1948 under number 23084/737. The mosque was named after Borizen Ali Baba, who took part in the Rhodes military campaign as the chief trumpeter. The name of the building, which was originally Alaca Tekke, was changed after Borazani Ali Baba took up residence there. It also hosts the tomb of Borazani Ali Baba in its courtyard. According to the inscription above the gate, it was restored by Müflir Ahmed Pasha in 1287 according to hegira, the Moslem calendar (A.D 1870/71). The floor plan and architectural characteristics of the mosque were drastically changed during the restoration. In the northwest corner there is a minaret with one gallery. The Mosque transferred to the Metropolitan of Rhodes, in accordance with the decision of the board of directors of the Turkish Waqf Administration which was directy appointed by the Greek authorities. Today it functions as the Church of Agios Kiriyaki. The restoration of the mosque and tomb were completed in 2006.

Previous Page
Next Page